When I began looking into a used Range Rover Evoque, I quickly learned that the advertised specification was only a starting point.
Before contacting anyone, I recorded the claimed engine, transmission, equipment level, and registration year. That made it easier to compare cars without being distracted by polished photographs.
The most useful early check was matching the identification number on the vehicle with every relevant document. One mismatch was enough for me to pause the purchase rather than explain it away.
I stopped treating a service book full of stamps as conclusive evidence and examined the history in detail. I compared the dates and invoices with the displayed mileage and checked whether maintenance had been carried out at sensible intervals.
One absent receipt was not decisive, although repeated gaps in the records changed my view of the car. The cars with consistent paperwork were easier to assess, even when they were not the cheapest examples.
I arranged the drive so that I could hear the car start from cold, since warming it beforehand may conceal faults. I listened for unusual rattles, watched the warning lights, and checked whether the idle settled smoothly.
One vehicle shifted smoothly once warm, yet delayed engagement from a cold start was enough for me to reject it. That experience taught me not to judge transmission behaviour after only a short, convenient drive.
On a safe stretch of road, I checked whether braking stayed straight and whether the pedal response felt firm. I repeated the drive in silence after discovering that the sound system could conceal a minor wheel noise.
A visual inspection underneath the car was more useful than I expected, particularly around leaks, damaged covers, and corrosion. A clean engine bay did not reassure me on its own, since it can sometimes indicate that fluids have been washed away.
I found that an independent inspection was worth arranging when I lacked the equipment or experience to check the vehicle properly. The inspection did not guarantee a perfect purchase, but it gave me evidence that a casual viewing could not provide.
A useful reference for comparing these checks is Range Rover Evoque Forum.
A cheap listing looked attractive until I added the probable expense of tyres, brakes, and overdue maintenance. Looking beyond the purchase figure produced a more realistic first-year estimate.
The checks that failed were usually the rushed ones: relying on photographs, skipping a cold start, and accepting vague answers. The checks that worked were slower but straightforward: verify the history, drive the car thoroughly, and record every concern.
These days I use a small phone checklist and finish it before starting any price negotiation. It helps me avoid letting enthusiasm make an unanswered problem seem unimportant.
I now choose according to documented condition rather than presentation or pressure to decide immediately. Taking extra time cost me a few opportunities, but it also prevented the most expensive mistake I had made when shopping for an Evoque.